old_st_davids
 
  Old St. David's Church  
     
 

91 Church St
Cheraw, SC 29520
843.537.8425

The last Anglican or "State" church built (c.1770) in South Carolina under King George III. The church was used by the Americans and the British during the Revolution and later by both Confederate and Union armies. There are soldiers from almost every American War buried in the cemetery. Also in the cemetery is a Confederate monument, the first ever erected (c.1867) in memory of those who had fallen in the Civil War. The original inscription did not mention Confederate soldiers directly because Union forces still occupied the area. The steeple and vestibule were added in 1826.

 
   
   
   

back

home
 
Florence CVB - 3290 W Radio Dr, Florence, SC - 800.325.9005
© 2011 Florence Convention & Visitors Bureau